Saturday, August 24, 2013

Sushi -The Cali Roll

I learned to make California Rolls the other day...I am always so excited when I can learn a new trick in the kitchen.  I have been making sushi on the traditional bamboo stick thing-a-ma-bobber, that helps with the perfect roll.  However I am impatient and a little sloppy so when our friends came over with a plastic roll mold I knew I had to revisit the sushi making world with my new weapon, tool, sushi roll mold.  Here it goes:

you will need the above essentials.  I found my roll mold at amazon

Cook your rice, make sure it's sticky sushi rice

 

unroll this weird clear stuff off of the Krab (with a K)

finely chop the Krab meat

Add Mayo (to taste)

So this is what I would have never guessed to add to the rice, but when I googled sushi the Japanese literal meaning is "sour tasting;" who knew??? Add this to the rice to taste.

place toasted nori sheet in the mold first

add rice to the first mark on the side, then cucumber, avocado, and the Krab mixture, more rice and pat it down a bit to be sure it's tight.  Be gentle with the Nori sheets.

fold the nori sheet over, put the mold on top, flip the mold
and open it on the other side.

and out comes this tasty morsel!!
Slice them up with your sharpest knife or a
serrated knife to prevent the rolls from being misshapen (see below).
Be sure to keep the roll width fairly wide too. 
 

 

 

 

Here are a few other sushi recipes to try out while experimenting:  sushi recipes @ yummly

No comments:

Post a Comment